Are You searching for the best dog food for labs?..
Don’t worry. We understand how important it is to feed the best possible food to your labs. And that’s why we will provide some healthiest and the best dog food for labs that fulfill the AAFCO nutrient profiles.
As we all know, labradors are generally large breed dogs, so labrador puppies may not eat that adult food. It’s essential to feed them according to their age. So here we are going to explain everything about labrador retrievers.
There are 360 breeds of dog species recognized by FCI (Federation Cynologique Internationale), also known as a world canine organization. If dogs are your first love then you must stop giving toxic foods to your dog, if you want their long healthy life. These poisonous dog food may make your labs overweight, increasing the risk of major diseases like heart disease, arthritis, and these toxic food can even decrease your dog’s stamina. Dogs also need a properly balanced diet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with lots of Vitamins, Calcium, Proteins, etc.; that must be the nutritious best dog food for labs.
When a dog is laid on your lap, this doesn’t mean he wants only love. Think about his hungry stomach and feed him with a nutritious, healthy diet. Try to use natural products, avoid artificial colors, sweeteners, preservatives as much as you can, and make sure they are gluten-free dog food. Do not compromise with the quality, If you really want your lab to be fit and live longer!
Raw Diet Food For Dogs (Homemade)
Characteristics of Nutritious Dog Food For Labs
As Labradors are high breed dogs, they require 1000-1200 calories per day. You can easily calculate your dog’s caloric requirement by finding their Resting Energy Requirements(RER) and multiplying it by their activity level. A dog and, more specifically, the lab’s RER is 30x their body weight in kg, adding 70. A puppy under four months needs 3x its RER, a minor over the age of four months needs two times its Resting Energy Requirements, a sporty adult needs 1.8x its RER, and a super active adult Lab needs 4x its RER. These are some Nutrition Content that must be in the best dog food for labs:-
- Proteins: The Protein Requirement in dog foods for labs must not be less than 20%, and it’s OK if 30%.It may be more than 30% of your lab is still in the growing age. It’s the most critical content that must be included in your lab’s diet.
- Chondroitin and Glucosamine: These are naturally occurring content that is highly nutritious and helps your dog fight various diseases like arthritis and joint pain. Chondroitin and Glucosamine are often used to:
- Cure pain and joint wear caused by hip dysplasia or any other structural changes.
- Fasten the treatment of spinal disc injury.
- Faster recovery from joint surgery.
- Try to keep performance dogs in peak condition.
- Calcium and Phosphorus: These are the general Calcium and Phosphorus requirement in a labs body:
The ratio of calcium/phosphorus in your best dog food for the lab should be 1:2:1 and 1:3:1.
- Probiotics: Probiotics can boost up many functions in a Labrador’s body. It helps to Aid Digestion, Modulate the immune system, Produces Short-Chain Fatty Acids. Read More About Probiotics.
Common Health Issues In Your Labrador Retriever While Feeding
Your lab might face some severe and common health issues if you feed them the wrong food.
- Knee Pains
- HIP DYSPLASIA and ELBOW DYSPLASIA
- Progressive retinal atrophy
Things To Look In The Best Dog Food For Labs?
To give a better understanding of things you should look for in the best dog food for labs, we have presented a chart explaining the requirements:
|Animal Proteins||It’s essential to feed your lab with high protein content without having the risk of weight gain. It builds lean muscle mass in your lab.|
|Limited Fat Content||Fats are essential for Fatty Acid and the primary source to bring calories in your lab’s body. However, please ensure to have a little fat as it might increase the number of calories required for labs.|
|Digestible Food||Always ensure you provide small bite foods or digestible food like vegetables, fruits, whole grain, etc., to your Labrador retriever to have a healthy digestive system.|
|Balanced Nutrition||Best Dog Food For Labs are not only complete foods but are nutritionally balanced. An adequate amount of Nutrition, vitamin, and minerals are essential for your labs’ healthier life.|
How Many Types Of Dog Food Are There?
1. Dry Dog Food
Dry Food For Dogs is the most economical dog food and is therefore chosen by most dog owners. Dry Dog food need not be refrigerated and can be used for a more extended period. The best thing about Dry Dog food is they are suitable for a dog’s teeth.
2. Wet Food or Canned Food
These are Wet Food loved by many dogs. It has a comparitively longer shelf life and is commonly found in nearby supermarkets. But not every canned dog food provides the balanced Nutrition your Labrador needs. So it’s highly recommended to choose the food that has 100% nutrition content.
3. Semi-Moist Dog Food
These are entirely different from dry dog food and wet food. These are commercial foods with various shapes of pork chops, burgers, and other meaty dog foods. These are the least nutritious and has artificial flavors and colorings.
Raw foods are uncooked foods like raw meat with bones as they are the direct source of calcium and phosphorus. They are healthy and easy to digest. Before switching to raw food, talk tour the vet about its advantages and risks.
The 10 Best Dog Food For Labs
We know how tough it is for you to choose the right food for your labs. By looking at a wide range of best dog food for labs and researching it from everywhere, we have found out the 10 Best Dog Food For Labs. You can pick any of them. All are highly rated and best for your labrador retrievers.
1 . Wellness CORE Grain-Free Large Breed Chicken & Turkey Recipe Dry Dog Food.
This Product is with 4.9 ratings and is grain-free, protein-rich Nutrition with authentic ingredients as Deboned Chicken, Turkey meal recipe, and Chicken meal, and no meat by-product, fillers, artificial preservatives flavors. These are for large breed adult dogs formulated with Chicken, turkey, fruits, and veggies. Contains adequate antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins, minerals, Glucosamine, chondroitin, and omega fatty acids. These Dry Dog Food does not contain any artificial preservatives.
- Large Kibble Size For Comfortable Eating.
- Contains Chicken, Turkey, Fruits, and Veggies.
- Helps Building Lean Body Mass, Muscle Toad, and Healthy Skin.
- Rich in antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins, minerals, Glucosamine, chondroitin, and omega fatty acids.
Caloric Content: 3,492 kcal/kg or 342 kcal/cup ME (metabolizable energy)
|Weight( lbs)||per day|
|50 – 60||3 – 3 2/3|
|61 – 70||3 2/3 – 4|
|71 – 80||4 – 4 1/2|
|81 – 90||4 1/2 – 5|
|91 – 100||5 – 5 1/3|
|101 – 110||5 1/3 – 5 2/3|
|111 – 120||5 2/3 – 6|
|121 – 140||6 – 6 3/4|
|141 – 160||6 3/4 – 7 1/2|
|161 – 180||7 1/2 – 7 3/4|
2. Sport Dog Food Active Series Field Dog Chicken & Sweet Potato Formula Flax-Free Dry Dog Food, 30-lb bag
This Flax Free Dry Dog Food contains one protein source and a balanced amount of fats and carbohydrates. It’s a complete diet for highly active dogs. It contains rich protein from low-ash animal sources while keeping carbohydrates low and fiber high. Young and growing dogs can consume it as it has no artificial preservatives, fillers, and by-products. This Made in USA product has all American Source Products.
- Contains US chicken meal first, sourced in the Mid-Western States, rich in proteins.
- Legumes free Product: No Peas at all.
- Contains healthy taurine from natural animal sources.
- Grade USDA and gluten-free kibble.
- Contains 483 calories per cup rich in power-packed energy.
Caloric Content: 3,413 kcal/kg, 483 kcals/cup
|Weight||Adult Working Dogs Off-Season Daily Feeding (Cups)||Adult Dogs Exercising 1-2 Times/Week Daily Feeding (Cups)||Adult Dogs Exercising 3-4 Times/Week Daily Feeding (Cups)|
|25 LBS||1||1 1/4||1 1/2|
|50 LBS||1 1/2||2 1/4||2 3/4|
|60 LBS||1 3/4||2 3/4||3 1/4|
|70 LBS||2||3||3 1/2|
|100 LBS||2 1/2||4||4 1/2|
3. Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Taste of Wild is a well-known product and comes in three sizes 5-lb bag, 14-lb bag, and 28-lb bag. This product has a balanced diet rich in protein and contains lamb and roasted lamb. The Grain-Free Product includes peas and sweet potatoes that are good for the digestive system and natural antioxidants from fruits and veggies. Has Dried chicory root for prebiotic, which is best for digestion. Rich in Essential Minerals and amino acids to ensure maximum benefits.
- Grain-Free Food with the main ingredient as lamb and other whole food to support Nutrition and strong muscles.
- Natural and added vitamins and powerful antioxidants with real fruit and vegetables, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids for healthier skin.
- Ingredients abstracted from trustable sources no grain, corn, wheat, filler, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, best for sensitive puppies.
- Nutrient-rich and highly digestible food.
Caloric Content: 338 kcal/cup, 3,611 kcal/kg
|Weight||Feeding for Ages 6-12 Weeks||Feeding for Ages 3-4 Months||Feeding for Ages 5-7 Months||Feeding for Ages 8-12 Months|
|3-5 LBS||1 – 1 1/3 cups||1 – 1 1/4 cups||2/3 – 1 cup||1/2 – 2/3 cup|
|5-10 LBS||1 1/3 – 2 1/3 cups||1 1/4 – 2 cups||1 – 1 1/3 cups||2/3 – 1 cup|
|10-20 LBS||2 1/3 – 3 3/4 cups||2 – 3 cups||1 1/3 – 2 1/3 cups||1 – 1 3/4 cups|
|20-30 LBS||3 3/4 – 5 cups||3 – 4 1/4 cups||2 1/3 – 3 1/4 cups||1 3/4 – 2 1/2 cups|
|30-40 LBS||5-6 cups||4 1/4 – 5 1/4 cups||3 1/4 – 3 3/4 cups||2 1/2 – 3 cups|
|40-60 LBS||5 1/4 – 7 cups||3 3/4 cups – 5 cups||3-4 cups|
|60-80 LBS||7- 8 1/3 cups||5-6 cups||4-4 3/4 cups|
|80-100 LBS||6-7 cups||4 3/4- 5 1/2 cups|
|100-125 LBS||7- 7 2/3 cups||5 1/2 – 6 1/2 cups|
|125-150 LBS||7 2/3 – 9 cups||6 1/2 – 7 1/4 cups|
|150-175 LBS||9-10 cups||7 1/4 – 8 cups|
4. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
This Product Comes in 2 Sizes 15-lb and 30-lb. This Product is rich in real meat, whole grains, garden veggies, fruit, plus added LifeSource Bits. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food is delicious in taste and protein-rich deboned Chicken.
- DHA and ARA for healthy brain and eye development. Inclusive of Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids.
- Calcium, phosphorus, and other vitamins essential for the body.
- L-Carnitine for muscle growth.
- Free From corn, wheat, soy, or chicken (or poultry) by-product meals.
Caloric Content: 3,634 kcal/kg, 386 kcal/cup
|Weight of Dog||1-3 months (cups)||3-5 months (cups)||5-7 months (cups)||7-12 months (cups)|
|UP TO 5 LBS||1/2 – 1||1/4 – 3/4||1/4 – 1/2||1/4 – 1/2|
|6 – 10 LBS||1 – 1 3/4||3/4 – 1 1/4||1/2 – 1||1/2 – 1|
|10 – 20 LBS||1 3/4 – 2 3/4||1 1/4 – 2||1 – 1 3/4||1 – 1 1/2|
|21 – 40 LBS||2 3/4 – 4 3/4||2 – 3 1/4||1 3/4 – 2 3/4||1 1/2 – 2 1/2|
|41 – 60 LBS||4 3/4 – 6 1/2||3 1/4 – 4 1/4||2 3/4 – 4||2 1/2 – 3 1/2|
|61 – 80 LBS||4 1/4 – 5 1/4||4 – 4 3/4 |
3 1/2 – 4 ¼
5. Royal Canin Labrador Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food
This excellent Product from royal canin comes in two sizes, 17-lb bag and-30 lb bag. This Product is made for pure breed Labrador Retriever over 15 months. Labrador tends to gain weight quickly, which puts pressure on their join, so it’s essential to feed them “made for Labrador” only products.
- Specifically made for Labrador’s over 15 months.
- Contains EPA and DHA for healthy joints and strong bones.
- Has Fish Oil, which helps maintain skin health.
- Donut Shaped Kibble for easy digestion.
Caloric Content: 3478 kcal/kg, 275 kcal/cup.
|Weight||Medium Activity Daily Feeding (cup)||High Activity Daily Feeding (cup)|
|57.3 LBS||3 3/4||4 3/8|
|61.7 LBS||4||4 5/8|
|66.1 LBS||4 1/8||4 7/8|
|70.5 LBS||4 3/8||5 1/8|
|75 LBS||4 5/8||5 3/8|
|79.4 LBS||4 3/4||5 1/2|
|83.8 LBS||5||5 3/4|
|88.2 LBS||5 1/4||6|
6. Brothers Complete Turkey Meal & Egg Formula Advanced Allergy Care Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
This food comes in 2 sizes 5-lb bag and 25-lb bag rich in Nutrition. It has high-quality proteins like turkey and Chicken, dried whole eggs easily absorbed, and no grains or white potatoes. All the ingredients are added, keeping in mind having healing, balancing, and maintaining a healthy gut. This food is excellent for allergy-related trouble.
- Made to avoid allergy and contains real turkey and low-glycemic carbs made from the cassava plant’s roots.
- Eggs have all 23 amino acids which the body cannot produce.
- Boost Immunity and reduces the risk of allergy.
- Produces Good Bacteria.
- Natural Preservatives.
Caloric Content: 3780 kcal/kg, 415 kcal/cup.
|6 – 25 LBS||1/4 – 1 cup|
|26 – 50 LBS||1 – 2|
|51 – 75 LBS||2 – 3|
|76 – 100 LBS||3 – 4|
7. Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice Formula All Life Stages Dry Dog Food, 40-lb bag
Each bite of Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice Formula is rich in superfoods and guaranteed probiotics to support your lab’s development and overall health. It is perfect for all life stages be it puppies or young dogs and it also contains real cage-free Chicken, whole fruits, and vegetables, including kale, blueberries, and coconut. It is rich in proteins along with omega fatty acids and antioxidants.
- Made with Real Cage-Free Chicken to help strengthen muscles.
- Added vitamins and antioxidants with Omega 3 and omega-six fatty acids for healthy skin.
- Easy to digest.
- No artificial preservatives.
Caloric Content: 368 kcal/cup, 3,708 kcal/kg.
|Weight||Daily Feeding for Ages 6-11 Weeks||Daily Feeding for Ages 3-4 Months||Daily Feeding for Ages 5-7 Months||Daily Feeding for Ages 8-12 Months|
|5-10 LBS||1 1/3 – 2 1/4 cups||1 1/4 – 2 cups||3/4 – 1 1/3 cups||2/3 – 1 cups|
|10-20 LBS||2 1/4 – 3 1/2 cups||2 – 3 cups||1 1/3 – 2 1/4 cups||1 – 1 3/4 cups|
|20-30 LBS||3 1/2 – 4 2/3 cups||3 – 4 cups||2 1/4 – 3 cups||1 3/4 – 2 1/3 cups|
|30-40 LBS||4 2/3 – 5 2/3 cups||4 – 5 cups||3 – 3 1/2 cups||2 1/3 – 2 3/4 cups|
|40-60 LBS||5- 6 1/2 cups||3 1/2 – 4 2/3 cups||2 3/4 – 3 2/3 cups|
|60-80 LBS||6 1/2 cups- 7 3/4 cups||4 2/3 – 5 1/2 cups||3 2/3 – 4 1/2 cups|
|80-100 LBS||5 1/2 – 6 1/2 cups||4 1/2 – 5 1/4 cups|
8. Eukanuba Breed Specific Labrador Retriever Dry Dog Food, 30 lb
EUKANUBA Labrador Retriever Dog Food contains 3D DENTADEFENSE System, which is effective to reduce tartar build-up in 28 days. This is one of the best dog food for labs.
This protein rich dog food is made with high-quality, animal-based proteins to help your Labrador Retriever build strong, lean muscles for a healthy body condition.
This Labrador retriever dog food is formulated to help support healthy joints.
EUKANUBA PREMIUM Labrador Dog Food contains calcium to support healthy muscles
Makes healthy digestion and skin and coat health
- “Made For Labrador” Food.
- Supports healthy, strong bones.
- Made with animal-based proteins.
Caloric Content: 407 kcal/cup.
|Weight( lbs)||per day|
|50-60||2 1/2-3 cup|
|61 – 70||3-3 1/2 cup|
|71 – 80||3 1/4-3 3/4 cup|
|81 – 90||3 1/2-4 cup|
|91 – 100||4 1/4-4 3/4 cup|
|101 – 120||4 3/4-5 1/4 cup|
9. Earthborn Holistic Large Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 14-lb bag
This food is a fantastic food made to fulfill the needs of your dog 50 pounds at maturity. It has a balanced amount of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Earthborn Holistic Large Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is the best dog food for labs as it makes their joints and muscle very strong. Chicken makes this food a high-quality protein food along with many fruits and vegetables like pears, apples, blueberries, carrots, spinach, and cranberries, making it a grain-free meal and thereby fulfilling your lab’s nutritional requirement.
- This food fulfills the special needs of a dog who weighs 50 lbs at maturity.
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate for healthy joint cartilage. Also has Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acid.
- Free from gluten and grain.
- This Food is Excellent for your dog’s digestion.
Caloric Content: 3,500 kcal/kg, 370 kcal/cup
We suggest using the guide at the back of the Earthborn Holistic Large Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
10. Wellness Large Breed Complete Health Adult Deboned Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
This food comes in two sizes, 15-lb bag, and 30 lb-bag. This Product is specially made to give nutritional support to your lab. The Wellness Large Breed Complete Health Adult Deboned Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food is made with premium proteins and wholesome grains supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics, and taurine. This Product provides vital support to the immune system, optimizes energy levels, and have healthy skin. It is made without GMOs, artificial colorings, and preservatives.
- Made Without GMO’s and Artificial Preservatives.
- Contains Omega Fatty Acids, Glucosamine, antioxidants, Probiotics, and taurine.
- Provides nutritional support to large breed dogs.
- Made in the USA, Finely Sourced Ingredients.
Caloric Content: 3,400 kcal/kg or 340 kcal/cup ME (metabolizable energy)
|Weight||Daily Feeding (cup)|
|50 – 60 LBS||3 1/4 – 3 2/3|
|61 – 70 LBS||3 2/3 – 4|
|71 – 80 LBS||4 – 4 1/2|
|81 – 90 LBS||4 1/2 – 5|
|91 – 100 LBS||5 – 5 1/3|
|101 – 110 LBS||5 1/3 – 5 3/4|
|111 – 120 LBS||5 3/4 – 6|
|121 – 140 LBS||6 – 6 3/4|
|141 – 160 LBS||6 3/4 – 7 2/3|
|161 – 180 LBS||7 2/3 – 8 1/3|
Let me ensure that vets’ foods are verified by vets and are the best dog food for labs. You should not feed any food when it comes to the matter of your buddy’s health. Labrador is a large breed dog. They require incredibly healthy and nutritious food; otherwise, they might face serious health issues like Knee problems, Hips and elbow dysplasia, Progressive retinal atrophy, Epilepsy, and Osteochondrosis, Cataracts.
So if you want your lab to live longer, they use these products mentioned above. These products are best for large breed dogs like Labrador Retrievers. Now the option is in your hand whether to feed you Labrador the best food or the worst.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
1. What should I look for to find the Best Dog Food For Labs?
Ideal food for Labrador should contain:-
· Rich in Animal Protein
· Limited Caloric Content
· Highly Nutritious
· Easy to Digest
2. Are joint-supporting nutrients essential in a Labrador’s diet?
If you want your Labrador to live longer, then joint-supporting Nutrition is a must in a Labrador’s diet. It makes your Labrador’s joint and muscle strong and healthy.
3. What are the everyday food items my Labrador can be allergic to?
My Labrador’s typical food can be allergic to wheat, beef, soy, dairy, eggs, and Chicken.
4. Which Foods I should never give to my Labrador?
Foods I should avoid giving to my Labrador are almonds, chocolate, cinnamon, garlic, coffee, macadamia nuts, grapes, tomatoes (green), raisins, onion, and nutmeg powder.
5. What Is The Best Dog Food For Labs Recommended By Veterinarians?
The Best Dog food for labs are:
· Royal Canin Labrador Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food
· Eukanuba Breed Specific Labrador Retriever Dry Dog Food
6. Do Labrador Retrievers Have Special Nutritional Requirements?
Yes, Labrador does require Nutrition to support their activity level, size and minimize the risk of various diseases like Knee Pains, HIP DYSPLASIA, and ELBOW DYSPLASIA, Bloat, Osteochondrosis, Cataracts, Progressive retinal atrophy, Epilepsy.
7. Why Quality Food Matters for Your Labrador Retriever?
Labrador often faces skin and joint issues. They tend to gain weight very quickly, so it’s essential to give your Labrador quality food to have a healthier and longer life.
8. What is the Best Dry Dog Food for Labrador?
The Best Dry Dog Food For Labs are:
· Wellness CORE Grain-Free Large Breed Chicken & Turkey Recipe Dry Dog Food
· Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
· Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
9. When is the right time to switch my lab puppy to adult food?
Many Vets have recommended switching your lab puppy food to adult foods between 12 and 18 months of age.
10. Why No Wet Food?
Should avoid wet food as wet food contains less Nutrition as compared to dry food. Labs need a highly nutritious diet, and wet food is not strictly not made for them.
11. Is Chicken sour for Labradors?
No. Chicken is the best source of protein your Labrador can have unless allergic to it. If your dog is not allergic to Chicken, then it’s absolutely a reliable food your dog can have.
12. Can Labradors eat Cheese?
Yes, Cheese is a treat to Labrador. But make sure your lab is not allergic to dairy products.
13. How Much Should You Feed A Labrador?
|Puppies 15-18||2 Ounces Per Meal||4 times a Day|
|Puppies 24-26||3-3.5 Ounces Per Meal||3 times a Day|
|Puppies 50-60||6-8 Ounces Per Meal||2 times a Day|
|Labs 61-80||1.75-2.25 cups Per Meal||2 times a Day|
|Labs over 80||2.25-2.75 cups Per Meal||2 times a Day|