It is very necessary for you to know about your little Yorkshire terrier’s nutritional requirements. They tend to be very picky eaters. So it’s important for you to give the best dog food for Yorkies. Read this blog if you want to know the 10 best dog food for Yorkies you might not want to miss!!
The average weight of a Yorkshire Terrier ranges around 5-7 pounds and is the cutest toy breed, with a great personality. They are popular among families for their tiny adorable size and manners, Yorkies are the sweetest of creatures. They have unending patience and love for the families they get adopted into. Yorkies are also known for their all-time alertness and make the best of alarm dogs you’ve seen.
If you have owned a dog, you may know that all the different breeds and kinds of dogs have a significant distinction in the type of food that suits their nutritional requirement. This leads them to a long and healthy lifestyle, which goes with the case of the Yorkies as well.
Read About: Best Dog Food For Labs
The kind of food that is best dog food for Yorkies is the one that serves the requirements of high energy to your little furry friend well. Also, you need to focus on the best dog food for Yorkies suited by their picky nature, and their heightened sensitive sense of smell. Hence, it is best to plan and feed them with the kind of food that best fits their bodies and health.
Although, most Yorkies require their diets in little amounts, Avoid foods that may create a problem for your Yorkshire’s sensitive stomach, and other ailments known to their breed specifically, like sensitivity to protein, hypoglycemia, tracheal collapses, etc.
One may wonder, how so, can I choose the best food for my Yorkshire Terrier? In this article, we have explained the crucial points simplified and explained for your better understanding of the best dog food for Yorkies.
A well-balanced diet for a Yorkies contains the right amount of calories, an excellent protein to fat ratio, some fruits and vegetables, and other health supplements to meet your dog’s dietary needs well, at a very inexpensive rate.
Find out the best diet for your Yorkshire Terrier.
AAFCO recommends that you choose diets with 22 % of protein content to the least for proper canine growth and reproduction. This goes for the little ones and the lactating females, adult male Yorkies require a minimum of 18% of the same. Similarly, females have a higher requirement of fat which is 8% of the total and males need 5% of fat in their diet.
A few of the must-have qualities in the best dog food for Yorkies include smaller food bites, packed with many calories, proteins, and fats. Also, these food bites must be digested with ease.
The needs of an average Yorkshire Terrier
Any average dog you’d know would require about 30 calories per pound of their body weight. Having said this, we would also let you know that toy breeds do not precisely follow this metric for the reason that they have a faster metabolism when compared to an average dog. Hence, you may be surprised to know that these toy breeds may require an extra ten calories per pound of their total body weight.
Doing the math, given the right information, you may come up to find out that since an average Yorkie weighs about somewhere from 4 pounds to 7 pounds approximately, and adult Yorkies would require something around 150 to 250 calories per day for its diet. Also, keep in mind that this is the metric for an adult Yorkie, and puppies may require a more significant amount of calories per day.
The right way to shop for Yorkie’s Food
There are a few must-have that you must look into while choosing the food to buy for your dog, maintain its diet in the best way possible, and best take care of it.
- Real meat, chicken meal, or even fish is the most significant ingredient your Yorkie needs in its diet.
- Also, adding up animal-based fat is very much beneficial and works to fulfill your Yorkshire terrier’s energy requirements. Ideally, you would need about 18 % to 22% of crude fat in the total diet.
- Include some carbohydrates that are easy to digest, and not loads of it, limit the total content. This could include some whole grain and veggies with a low starch percentage.
- Use natural substances like fresh fruits and vegetables to meet your puppy’s vitamin and mineral requirements.
- Make sure the food for your dog doesn’t have any additional ingredients like colors, or any preservatives and flavors.
The must-haves in the everyday diet for the best dog food for Yorkies
Your dog needs to have calories, carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals in the right amount as a requisite in their everyday diets, to lead a healthy and long life.
The health issues to look out for your Yorkshire Terrier
Hypoglycemia: This means low blood sugar in your Yorkie, toy breeds like Yorkshire are very much inclined to be affected by this disease. What happens is that this specific breed of dogs develops teeth much later than other larger dogs, which makes the process of chewing food much difficult for these pups. Also, their bodies have trouble maintaining the right temperature for better survival because of their tiny size.
A case of hypoglycemia occurs when the bodies of these pups fail in producing enough sugar for their needs; the sugar in the form of glucose is a requisite for the formation of energy. Lower blood sugar levels can occur from no proper meals, too much cold or physical activity, or even stress. Hence it would help if you didn’t back out on the care factor of your puppy.
Hypoglycemia symptoms include drowsiness, which is prevalent and much showcased in a pup with high physical activities, weakness of muscles, shivering and staggering. You must know the case is serious when there are signs of seizures and collapses. It is strictly advised that you take your Yorkie to a veterinary doctor just as these symptoms develop, as such condition can also prove to be fatal.
Floating knee: This condition is also known as the luxating patella, wherein, one of the knee caps of your dog gets displaced from its usual position. The state is not uncommon among dogs, with toy breeds being the most prone to developing this condition.
In some instances, this condition can easily be cured with physical therapy and apt medication. Although, you may note that your dog may require surgery if the disease is severe.
Tracheal collapse: There hasn’t been a well-backed reason to explain the occurrence of a tracheal collapse in dogs. This condition is mostly caused due to the weakness in the trachea’s cartilage present at the time of birth. Also, apart from these, there are other factors relating to the environment. This condition’s presence is usually diagnosed at the young-adult stage of a Yorkshire Terrier’s life, but the symptoms may appear as late as its midlife.
This disease’s symptoms include coughing that can worsen with too much of exercise, stress, eating and drinking, or even when the trachea is pressurized. The sound of cough in such a condition is easily recognized.
The 10 best dog food for Yorkies
1. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Small Breed Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Ideal for your dog in its adult stage, this recipe is in dry food and is a special diet that is high in protein, grain (corn, wheat, soy) free. Your dog’s inner carnivore is sure to be satisfied with this dog food recipe. Consisting of real Chicken as its base ingredient, the formula is high in protein, without any grain, aimed at helping your dog to maintain its lean muscles.
It is in the #1 Best Dog Food For Yorkies list because it has everything a Yorkshire food must contain. Apart from these, the formula also includes LifeSource pieces rich in antioxidants, adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals, and other nutrients. Blue Buffalo also has Complex carbohydrates derived from fruits and vegetables that cater to your small breed dog’s high energy needs.
Pros of the product
- The recipe is high in protein content, which helps in building and maintaining lean muscle mass.
- The recipe is entirely grain-free aimed to suit toy breed dog food.
- The LifeSource bits present in the formula contain just the right amount of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to keep the immune system of your pet running in the right direction.
- The recipe is made with entirely pure ingredients and is free of chicken by-products, corn, soy, wheat, or any kind of flavors and additives.
- The formula is specially made with small pieces to suit your little furry pets.
2. Cesar gourmet puppy wet dog food
This formula has been a popular one among customers; they seem to be loving this formula, which their pups enjoyed. That being said, you would also like to know there are few ingredients you would want to recheck according to the needs of your dog.
Pros of the product
- The old formula of the recipe is viral among customers, the credit is given to it’s easy to chew formula, which is also very easy to digest.
- Also, the flavor and texture of the dog food are highly enjoyed by dogs in the senior category.
- Customers have reported better digestion in their dogs after consuming the Cesar dog food. Puppies consuming this formula have shown healthier stomachs and a good time ratio in digesting the food.
Cons of the product
- The recipe contains a few ingredients that you should be wary of, like the Menadione sodium bisulfite complex and sodium tripolyphosphate, which have close links to toxic and mutational properties.
- The recipe all contains traces of meat by-products such as Chicken by-product meal, which should be avoided.
- Also, the water content in this dog food is undesirably high.
Given these pros and cons, we may say that while these do not contain the best ingredients for your dog, every dog is hit different, the key is finding what suits your dog the best.
3. Merrick Grain-Free Dry Puppy Food Real Beef and Sweet Potato recipe
This dry food recipe has been created, keeping a lot in mind. It contains high-quality whole foods, along with real deboned beef as its main ingredient, catering to your puppy’s protein needs and providing it in the best available form, suitable to all the breeds. The recipe offers your pup a complete diet containing about 55 percent of protein content and healthy fats for your dog. This is the #2 best dog food for Yorkies as the level of nutrient requirement in this food is adequate.
It also has s about 45 percent of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other naturally occurring ingredients to make it better. While this is enough, the formula also contains DHA to promote your dog’s brain development, along with glucosamine and chondroitin to maintain strong hips with healthy joints. The recipe also contains omega fatty acids to promote healthy skin for your pup, with small-sized bites to perfectly suit your Yorkshire Terrier.
Pros of the product
- The recipe does not contain grains( No corn, gluten, wheat or soy). It has a 55 percent protein content and healthy fat with a 45 percent ratio of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and other naturally occurring ingredients.
- It contains real defined beef as its star ingredient.
- Has the most optimal ratio of healthy fats to keep your pup healthy and maintain its weight, all while having an upsurge in energy.
- Contains ingredients like glutamine and chondroitin to take care of healthy hips and joints.
- Includes omega-three and omega-six fatty acids to take care of skin and outer coat
4. Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier adult
Something that makes this dry food product for your Yorkie distinct from the ones mentioned previously is that this product has been exclusively formulated for a Yorkshire Terrier aged above ten months. A Yorkie’s outer skin is very different from dogs of other breeds, which grows strand by strand, with no undercoat presence. Also, Yorkies can be picky eaters, taking in the food according to their smell and taste. Hence the food you pick must suit your dog’s palate, and it is specially designed to cater to their complete health.
Pros of the product
- Specially designed to suit a Yorkshire Terrier aged over ten months.
- Contains omega-three along with omega 6 to benefit skin and coat.
- Tailored according to the palate of Yorkies and delicious smell for picky eaters.
- Contains essential nutrients needed to maintain the health of adult dogs.
- Suitable, small kibble size, texture, and shape reliable to enable easy chewing
5. Wellness Complete Health Turkey and Oatmeal
This is a form of dry dog food formed with the sole purpose of providing your pup with the complete nutritional requirements of your dog, with a very reliable kibble size, to suit your toy breed pup. The formula has been made with exclusively chosen ingredients including the best quality proteins and whole grains and fatty acids, glucosamine, antioxidants, taurine, and probiotics.
Its formula is perfectly well balanced dry dog food that also supports the growth of your dog’s immune system. It positively supports the formation of energy, to give your dog the healthiest skin and outer coat along with taking care of its body as a whole, indeed, its complete health. The product is formulated without the presence of any GMOs, artificial flavors or preservatives, and meat by-products. This product is just the right dry dog food for your Yorkie. Energy levels and ensure healthy skin and coat while promoting whole-body health.
Pros of the product
- The Product is entirely free of any GMOs, meat by-products, or artificial flavors or additives.
- The product contains omega fatty acids, antioxidants, prebiotics, glucosamine, and taurine.
- Ingredients chosen to make the product have been carefully selected, the product includes proteins of the highest quality and whole grains.
- The formula supports the body’s nutritional requirements in whole, which reliable kibble size made for small breed dogs.
- Formulated in the United States of America using the best quality ingredients.
6. Wellness Core Natural Original Turkey and Chicken
Your pup is sure to lead a balanced life with this product. It is an entirely flat, free from grain dry dog food formulated with high-quality protein and works towards keeping your dog’s health to the top. The ingredients chosen to be used in the product include premium proteins such as Turkey, chicken meal, salmon oil, fruit and vegetable content, wholesome grains, supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamins, minerals, probiotics, taurine and glucosamine.
This dry best dog food for Yorkies is full of nutrients, formulated to support lean muscle growth, healthy skin and coat, keeping the whole body healthy. The formula is free of meat by-products, corn, soy, gluten, or artificial flavours and additives.
Pros of the product
- Formulated with the best quality protein to best suit the overall health of your Yorkie.
- Contains omega fatty acids, glucosamine, probiotics, taurine, vitamins, and minerals.
- Does not contain any kinds of meat by-products, corn, soy, gluten, fillers, or artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors.
- The formula has been designed to enable lean body muscle growth and toning, promotes healthy skin and coat, take care of the nutritional requirements of the body whole in whole.
7. Candidate All Life stages Less Active Formula Dry Dog Food
This is a specially formulated, palatable and highly nutritious product that suits all breeds’ dogs, with variable sizes and stages in life. It perfectly fits dogs that have aged and do not have much of physical activity.
It is a nutritionally balanced formula, following the one recipe feeds many principles. It is ideal if you have more than one dog at home, and makes the process of providing hassle-free to a great extent. If you only own one dog, it is very reliable because you do not need to switch the product due to the tour dog’s ageing, breed, or size factor. All you need is one bag of this product, and you’re done for the job while meeting the nutritional requirements of your dog.
Pros of the product
- Contains lesser fat when compared with the Multi-Protein Canidae All life stages formula by 27 %.
- Contains HealthPlus solutions, a combination of omega-three and omega-six fatty acids and probiotics.
- The product is free of any food allergens like corn, wheat, or soy.
- It is a formulation suiting all breeds, sizes, and ages of dogs and best suits senior and overweight dogs with a lesser physical everyday activity.
- It contains ingredients like animal protein, rice, fruits, vegetables, and barley.
8. Hills Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach and skin small and Mini Chicken recipe
Take care of your dog’s needs with this formula in dry dog food form, formulated keeping toy breeds in mind, especially the adult ones. It contains real chicken meal and its rolled in with antioxidants’ benefits and well supports a healthy digestive system while promoting healthy skin. The product is formed after years of research work put into it, with a delicious taste.
Pros of the product
- The product contains an ample amount of fiber that benefits the digestive health of your pup.
- The ingredients used in the product are entirely natural, for example, Vitamin E, omega-six fatty acids that promote your pup’s skin and coat’s health.
- The made in USA product contains ingredients from all around the world.
- It is formulated after many years of research by Hill’s, a brand specializing in the pet food industry.
9. Castor and Pollux Pristine Grain-free Small Breed Free-Range Chicken Stew canned Dog food
Give your Yorkshire Terrier the most high-quality nutrition with this product, made with organically well-fed and raised Chicken. The produce used in the food is grown organically as well, without synthetic fertilizers or any kinds of chemical pesticides. Hence, this crammed dog food is the healthiest wet dog food you can choose for your dog.
Pros of the product
- The ingredients used in this product are entirely sourced ingredients taken from suppliers.
- The first ingredient used in the product is organically fed chicken meal, raised without the use of hormones or other chemicals.
- The use of really high-quality spinach, carrots, apples, etc. that are in every way organically grown without the use of chemicals and fertilizers.
- The recipe is absolutely grain-free( no wheat, soy, or gluten) and free from artificial flavors and preservatives.
10. American Journey Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe
American journey has all the nutrients that are required for your ever so energetic puppy. This recipe containing salmon and sweet potato is a dry dog food formula. It has real salmon in the deboned form that adds in the protein and amino acids required by your dog for leaner muscles, with the most delectable taste.
Pros of the product
- Free from grains like corn, wheat, soy, etc., to protect your Yorkie’s sensitive stomach.
- Contains real fruits like blueberries to provide vitamins, minerals to build a more robust immune system.
- Contains real salmon packed with proteins and amino acids along with the most delicious taste.
- Omega 3 and omega-six fatty acids added through salmon oil and flaxseed.M that supports skin and hair health.
- Contains chickpeas rich in fiber and sweet potatoes to meet high energy demands.
Frequently asked questions
1. What is the recommended amount of food for your Yorkie?
The amount given on the food label of your yorkie’s dog food is just an initial point; your Yorkies may require an approximate more or less of the amount.
Usually, you recommend that you give about one fourth to half a cup of dog food to your Yorkshire Terrier. In the more initial stages if their life, they require about 3 to 4 meals every day, while an adult dog is advised to have its meals twice a day, 150 to 250 calories per day us an average amount.
2. What are the foods a Yorkshire Terrier is supposed to avoid?
A Yorkshire Terrier should avoid foods like onions, chives, and garlic because these contain Thiosulphate, a toxin that is harmful to the breed. Repeated intake of which may lead to significant harm to your puppy.
Apart from these, grapes also need to be avoided as they are known to have adverse effects on Yorkies’ kidney.
3. Which is a more recommended form of food for Yorkies- Dry or Wet?
You must have noticed that food options for canines have two major categories, dry and wet. Usually, you may have pondered upon these choices. Well, to answer this question, the better option for your Yorkie is non undoubtedly dry food, as a Yorkshire Terrier is known to have sensitive teeth, so dry food suits its health better.
4. What does an excellent Yorkshire terrier food contain?
While choosing food for your Yorkie, you must look for a formula with enough protein, something that has real meat, chicken meal, or fish as one of its main ingredients is highly suitable.
Ensure the food you choose for your terrier also has plenty of fat, which is animal-based to fulfill your Yorkshire Terrier’s energy needs. An ideal amount would be somewhere around 18 percent to 22 percent of crude fat.
Make sure it also has some amount (not much) of digestible carbohydrates like a few whole grains and digestive vegetables.
5. Why Quality Food Matters to Your Yorkshire Terrier?
It is very important to give your Yorkshire Terrier Quality Food as they are highly active dogs and may become weak if not fed with a proper diet. They may face various Health Issues.
6. What Health Issues Should I Be Wary with My Yorkshire Terrier?
Health Issues that you should wary of for your Yorkshire Terrier are:
2. Skin Allergies
3. Retinal Dysplasia
4. Progressive Retinal Atrophy